Sofia Municipality Tentatively Approves 60 % Increase in Public Transport Fare
The transport committee of Sofia municipality approved on Monday a proposed 60 % increase in the price of public transport tickets.
Six councilors voted in favour of the increase, two were opposed, two abstained and one was absent.
All six municipal councilors supporting the increase are from the largest ruling party GERB.
Sofia Urban Mobility Centre has proposed for the fare to increase from its current value of BGN 1 to BGN 1.6
According to estimates of the centre, this is the realistic price of the ticket and the aim of the increase is to encourage the purchase of long-term travel documents.
The urban mobility centre has said that the prices of travel cards will remain unchanged.
An analysis of the centre shows that 10-12 % of passengers traveling on the public transport last year did not pay for their ticket.
Around BGN 80 000 were collected from fines imposed on people traveling without tickets.
Municipal councilors from the opposition argue that the increase in the fare will lead to a rise in the number of people traveling without paying for their tickets and will also increase car traffic in the city centre.
Citizens held a protest against the proposed increase on Friday.
The increase in the ticket price has to be approved by the city parliament to enter into force.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian Civil Aviation Suffers Huge Losses Owing to Coronavirus Pandemic
- » Big “Potato Fraud” Exposed in Bulgaria
- » Greek Tourism Minister: Vaccination Certificate Not Mandatory for Traveling to Greece
- » UniCredit Bulbank: Bulgarian Economy Will Slowly Recover in 2021
- » Bulgarians No Longer Need Negative PCR Test for Entering Serbia
- » Sad Anniversary: Bulgaria’s Energy System Collapsed on Friday 13th 1978