Bulgaria Reaffirms Readiness to Erect Wire Fence on Border with Greece
Bulgarian Defence Minister Nikolay Nenchev reaffirmed on Thursday the country's readiness to erect a light wire fence along its border with Greece in preparation for an eventual increase in migrant pressure.
The minister specified neither the length of the fence nor its exact location out of security considerations, reassuring that the situation at the border is calm for the moment.
Earlier in March, Nenchev had said that Bulgaria is ready to construct a fence along the border with Greece after the closure of the Western Balkan migrant route, which is expected to redirect the refugee flow through Bulgaria.
Also on Thursday, Nenchev stated that the defence ministry will request to be allocated additional BGN 1.5 M to its budget.
The additional funding is needed to cover the expenses of the army in completing tasks on guarding the border and its participation in the event of an anti-terrorist operation.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Lockheed Martin: The first Bulgarian F-16 Fighter jet is already being Assembled
- » The Most Cyberattacks against Bulgaria come from Russia
- » The Bulgarian Parliament ratified the Contract for the Acquisition of 8 more F-16 Fighter Jets
- » President Radev: Bulgaria actively participates in all NATO exercises in the Black Sea Region
- » Bulgaria’s Defense Minister on Military Aid to Ukraine: We cannot provide the S-300
- » Suspects of the Attack in Istanbul have been arrested in Bulgaria (UPDATED)