Bulgaria Reaffirms Readiness to Erect Wire Fence on Border with Greece
Bulgarian Defence Minister Nikolay Nenchev reaffirmed on Thursday the country's readiness to erect a light wire fence along its border with Greece in preparation for an eventual increase in migrant pressure.
The minister specified neither the length of the fence nor its exact location out of security considerations, reassuring that the situation at the border is calm for the moment.
Earlier in March, Nenchev had said that Bulgaria is ready to construct a fence along the border with Greece after the closure of the Western Balkan migrant route, which is expected to redirect the refugee flow through Bulgaria.
Also on Thursday, Nenchev stated that the defence ministry will request to be allocated additional BGN 1.5 M to its budget.
The additional funding is needed to cover the expenses of the army in completing tasks on guarding the border and its participation in the event of an anti-terrorist operation.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian Defense Minister: There is Real Danger that within 3-4 years We will Not be Able to Carry Out our Combat Duty Alone
- » Bulgaria is 67th in terms of Military Power. Who in the World is First?
- » Bulgaria will Repair its MiG-29 Fighters in Poland
- » Bulgarian Interior Minister: Migrant Pressure has Increased, but there are No Conditions for Concern
- » Bulgarian Defense Minister: 34 million dollars in Compensation have been agreed due to the Delay of F-16
- » Defense Minister: Repair Enterprises for Bulgarian Aircraft can Work without Service from Russia