Students Tour Bulgaria to Perform Broadway Musical
Students from the American University in Bulgaria (AUBG) are going on a tour around Bulgaria to perform an adapted version of the Broadway musical Catch Me If You Can with nine performances in five Bulgarian cities - Blagoevgrad, Sofia, Varna, Ruse and Plovdiv.
For a ninth consecutive year, AUBG Broadway Performance Club, a voluntary students club, buys the rights to adopt and stage a Broadway musical, which is then performed in English by the club’s 40 members.
After four performances at the university’s theatre in Blagoevgrad (March 22-25), the musical’s crew is heading to Sofia with two performances on March 27 at the National Music Theatre, followed by Varna (March 30), Ruse (April 1) and Plovdiv (April 2).
The original musical Catch Me If You Can, a four-time Tony Awards nominee, including one for Best Musical, is based on Steven Spielberg’s 2002 movie about the live story of Frank Abagnale. Currently a Law Enforcement consultant, Abagnale is known as one of the most famous imposers of all times.
The AUBG students’ version of the musical features Abagnale as a teenager who runs away from home with no money in his pockets. With his charm and strategic thinking, Frank Abagnale Jr. becomes an owner of millions of dollars in forged checks by posing as a pilot, a doctor and a lawyer. He is a successful young man living a high life with the girl of his dreams. Everything changes when his forgeries catch the attention of FBI agent Carl Hanratty, who starts prosecuting Abagnale across the country.
The first musical adapted by AUBG students is Chicago, performed in 2008, followed by West Side Story (2009), Hairspray (2010), Moulin Rouge (2011), Grease (2012), Memphis (2013), All Shook Up (2014) and Burlesque (2015).
More information about the event and tickets can be found here.
- » New Movie of Bulgarian Animation Artist Theodore Ushev, The Physics of Sorrow, has been Shortlisted for the Oscar Awards
- » UNESCO Added the Turkmen Rugs to its Intangible Cultural Heritage List
- » Bulgarians Have Received an European Award for Development in the Film Industry
- » Bulgarian Movie Won the Best Picture Award at the Cottbus Film Festival in Germany
- » A Turkish Court Ruling Could Turn Saint Sofia into a Mosque
- » Bulgaria Celebrates the Day of the Bulgarian National Revival Leaders