Belgium Released Brussels Attacker Deported Earlier from Turkey, Erdogan Reveals
Turkey deported one of the Brussels attackers and alerted the Belgian authorities about him last year, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said.
However, Belgium had found no links with terorism of the deportee and released him, Erdogan said at a joint news conference with Romanian President Klaus Iohannis in Ankara, Turkish news daily Sabah reported on Wednesday.
''The Belgian embassy was notified on July 14, 2015 about the deportation of the attacker, who was later released in Belgium,'' Erdogan said, according to dailysabah.com.
Erdogan said Belgium had been warned that the attacker caught in Turkey's southeastern Gaziantep province in 2015 was a foreign fighter.
"However, despite our warnings that this person is a foreign terrorist fighter, Belgium failed to detect the terrorist links of this person," the Turkish president said, according to Anadolu Agency.
Erdogan didn't mention the attacker by name.
The Belgian authorities have named two of the suicide bombers who carried out deadly attacks in Brussels on Tuesday as brothers Khalid and Brahim el-Bakraoui, Belgian nationals.
A third suspected attacker, identified as Najim Laachraoui by the Belgian authorities, is still on the run.
At least 31 people were killed and 230 injured in the terror attacks on Zaventem Airport and Maelbeek metro station in Brussels on Tuesday, according to the latest updates from Belgian authorities.
- » Stoltenberg: We Look Forward to Northern Macedonia Joining NATO
- » Erdogan: Turkey Is in Syria because of Those for Whom Oil Is More Important than Blood
- » Belgium Returns its F-16 Fighter Planes to the Skies over Syria and Iraq
- » Brexit Will Affect the Welfare of Countries, the ECB Director Warned
- » Increased Alert Level in Greece over Fears of Escaped Jihadists
- » Trump: The G7 Summit in 2020 Will not Be at my Golf Club