Bulgaria Refuses to Hand Over G?len Supporter to Turkey
A man linked to the movement of US-based cleric Fethullah G?len will not be extradited to Turkey, a Bulgarian court has ruled.
Abdullah B?y?k is a businessman who owns a domain name registration company and has demanded political asylum in Bulgaria, being sought for "terrorism" charges, private NOVA TV station reports.
English-language Daily Sabah, known for voicing positions also shared by the Turkish government, B?y?k is called "a suspected member of the G?lenist Terror Organization (FET?)."
Turkish officials use the words and acronym " to refer to to the so-called Hizmet movement of Fethullah G?len, a US-based cleric whom Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan accuses of orchestrating a coup against him and the government, increasingly designating movement members as "terrorists".
Sabay also informs the man was detained last year by Istanbul police "raiding a meeting of G?lenists in the ?sk?dar district" which he allegedly hosted.
NOVA says B?y?k arrived in February willing to move his business and shows him saying it is "impossible to work undisturbed and to deal with trade in such an environment or voice your views and live peacefully."
B?y?k cites as examples the crackdown on newspapers and TV stations and court actions against entrepreneurs and university lecturers.
His lawyers maintain a trial against him in Turkey could turn into political persectuon against him due to his political views in favor of the opposition.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Moldovans detained for Stealing nearly BGN 200,000 from Ukrainian Refugees in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria: Large-scale Police Operation in Karnobat
- » Bulgaria: Scheme for Issuing Fake Green Certificates was Discovered in Sofia
- » Bulgarian Prosecutor's Office Launches Investigation for the so-called “Golden Passports”
- » Bulgaria: Man was Detained for Issuing Fake Certificates in Bansko
- » Bulgaria: British Man Attacked and Kicked a Nurse at the Hospital in Veliko Tarnovo