Builder of Bulgaria's Struma Motorway Accused of Tax Fraud
Damages of nearly BGN 14 M (EUR 7) have been incurred by the state as a result of a scam run by a Bulgarian construction company, prosecutors have said.
A specialized operation jointly conducted by counter-intelligence and domestic security agency (DANS) and the Interior Ministry's unit against organized crime (GDBOP) has been carried out at the offices of the company based in Blagoevgrad, Southwestern Bulgaria, which resulted in the confiscation of jewellery worth BGN 0.5 M, the Bulgarian Prosecutor's Office announced without elaborating.
The operation also took place in Agromah's uits in Plovdiv, Lom and Sofia. In Blagoevrad, an employee of the company tried to bring EUR 1 M out of the office, using a bag, but was arrested.
Agromah EOOD and Patishta Plovdiv AD were two companies that last year won tenders worth BGN 352 M to build several dozen km of Struma motorway, including the Zheleznitsa tunel, which is to be the longest one in Bulgaria (the tunnel section itself is worth BGN 166 M).
Patishta Plovdiv, which is linked to Agromah, has also been targeted.
Agromah' owner Metodi Bachev meanwhile said he was ready to give half of the BGN 14 M damages allegedly done to the state to anyone able to prove there was wrongdoing.
24 chasa daily quotes him as saying that his company doesn't have political protection and is now being targeted as a result.
Previously, Agromah has been commissioned public works such as the repair of a damaged section of the road between Sofia and the ski resort of Bansko.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Crime: Mother Killed Her Own Two Children in Bulgarian Town of Sandanski
- » Bulgaria: Specialized Prosecutor's Office Started Action in Four Districts in Sofia
- » Bank Robbery in Bulgaria's City Sandanski
- » Deputy Speaker of the 44th Bulgarian National Assembly and The Leader of "VOLYA" Party Veselin Mareshki Sentenced to 4 Years in Prison
- » Bulgarian Police Department: Six People Detained at the Protest Today
- » Police Operations in Several Places in Bulgaria