Bulgaria FM Warns against Alternative Balkans Route for Migrants
A final agreement between the EU and Turkey should provide guarantees that land borders between Turkey and Bulgaria or between Greece and Turkey will not become part of a new migrant route, Bulgarian Foreign Minister Daniel Mitov has said.
In an interview with the Bulgarian National Television, he has made clear that a way should be found to bar smugglers from creating such a route.
Mitov has welcomed the closure of the so-called Western Balkans migrant route that practically followed the broad agreement reached between EU and Turkish leaders earlier this week.
In his words, a final deal should help the EU regain control of its external borders, but also provide both parties with mechanisms to control the processes.
Earlier this week, Austrian media outlets quoted authorities as saying more intense movement of migrants had recently been registered in Bulgaria and Hungary.
On Thursday afternoon, the Bulgarian National Radio quoted Interior Minister Rumyana Bachvarova as saying that Bulgaria would demand that Turkey take in irregular migrants who crossed into Bulgaria once an agreement between Brussels and Ankara is in place.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The European Commission Started an Evaluation of the Bulgarian Recovery Plan
- » Nearly 60% of Bulgarians are Skeptical about Adopting the Euro
- » Bulgaria Is Late to Explain Its Position on N.Macedonia Says Diplomat
- » New German Government and Old Bulgarian "bad boy" Borissov
- » EC Opens Infringement Proceedings against 19 EU Member States, Including Bulgaria
- » Bulgarians and EU Citizens Will Enter UK only with Passports from October 1st