Turkish Authorities Detain 97 Refugees in Truck Near Border with Bulgaria
Turkish authorities detained 97 Syrian refugees, including 22 children, in the trailer of a truck near the border with Bulgaria on Sunday.
The migrants were caught when they attempted to illegally cross the Kapikule-Kapitan Andreevo border checkpoint.
The truck was stopped for inspection by police patrolling the area due to the suspicious behaviour of the driver, who overtook the other trucks waiting in the queue and proceeded straight to the customs.
According to Turkish Daily Sabah, the refugees were picked up from Selimpasa in Istanbul.
All refugees, some of whom had been close to suffocation due to the lack of air, were accommodated at the migrant center in Edirne.
The driver of the truck was also detained and will be sued for human smuggling.
In another case occurring close to the border with Bulgaria, 31 Syrian refugees and the driver of the truck transporting them were detained near a Turkish village.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » A Train carrying NATO Military equipment derailed in Greece
- » American Combat Drones are being deployed in Greece
- » Borrell: There is an Agreement between Kosovo and Serbia
- » Kosovo postponed fines for "Serbian" License Plates at the Request of the US
- » NATO has urged Serbia and Kosovo not to escalate Tensions
- » Leader of VMRO-DPMNE demanded that Bulgaria recognize a "Macedonian Minority"