Bulgarian Authorities Bust Migrant Smuggling Ring
The Bulgarian authorities have cracked down on a organized crime group dealing in bringing in illegal migrants into the country and smuggling them to Western Europe, the Ministry of the Interior announced on Wednesday.
Six Bulgarian citizens and an Afghan national legally residing in the country had been detained for 72 hours on 2 February in a joint operation of police, the prosecuting authorities and DANS homeland security agency, the Ministry of the Interior said in a statement.
More than 40 illegal migrants awaiting to be smuggled out of Bulgaria were also detained in the operation conducted in the regions of Burgas, Pazardzhik, Blagoevgrad and Pernik. Their nationalities were not disclosed.
Criminal charges were brought on Wednesday against the detained people smugglers who had been operating since January 2015, according to the statement.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » "Information Service" for Green Certificates: We Repelled the biggest Cyber Attack in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Traffic Police Caught 30 Migrants on Trakia Highway near Sliven
- » Spouses Found Dead in Blagoevgrad, Son is a Suspect of the Murder
- » At Least 116 people have Died in a Prison Riot in Ecuador
- » Demonstrative Murder in Sofia: A Man was Shot Dead at Gerena Stadium
- » Record Homicide Growth in the United States Last Year