Bulgaria Police Arrest Alleged Mastermind of Attack on Ex-Security Agent
A Ukrainian national has been detained in Bulgaria who the prosecution believes to have masterminded the attack against former security agent Alexei Petrov, the Bulgarian National Television has said.
Interior Ministry sources cited by other media outlets suggest several Ukrainians have been arrested as well in relation to the case, but the number is not specified.
Alexei Petrov, who had formerly worked for the Specialized Squad for Combating Terrorism, was exposed in 2008, by then Interior Minister Rumen Petkov, as an undercover agent at the State Agency for National Security, Bulgaria's domestic security and counter-intelligence service.
In the 1990s, he was involved in the insurance business, which at that time was notorious for the blackmailing practices used by some companies to "attract" customers. Until 1998, he had a share a security company along with Boyko Borisov, now Bulgaria's Prime Minister.
For some years he was facing a trial over allegedly having organized and been a member of an organized criminal gang.
The Octopus trial was set to continue in May of last year, but after the detention and subsequent administrative action against Rumyana Chenalova, the judge who was in charge of the case, it was again put on hold.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Two Women from Berkovtsa in Court for Arranging the Marraige of Under-Aged Teens
- » Bulgarian Citizen Was Detained for Migrant Smuggling in Slovenia
- » Six People Are Accused of Tax Crimes in the Trade of Imported Drugs
- » Cat Smuggled Heroin into Prison in Sri Lanka And When Detained - Escapes
- » Alleged Gang Sexual Assault in a 5-Star Hotel in Egypt
- » 9 People Involved in a Criminal Group for Illegal Extraction and Sale of Wood Have Been Detained