Some 2,000 Migrants Cross Mediterranean into Europe Daily in January
A total of 55,528 migrants and refugees have crossed the Mediterranean into Europe during the first 28 days of the year, according to estimates of the International Organization for Migration (IOM).
The daily average rate of arrivals is almost 2,000 – “nearly equivalent to the total numbers for the month of January as recently as two years ago,” the IOM announced in a statement on Friday.
Some 244 deaths at sea have been recorded by the IOM during the same period – a three-fold increase compared with the 82 deaths registered on Mediterranean Sea routes last year.
The latest deaths were recorded on Wednesday and Thursday, the IOM said. Seven migrants died on Wednesday off the Greek island of Kos and another 26 on Thursday off Samos, following shipwrecks.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Stoltenberg: Putin will use Winter as a Weapon in the War
- » Day 279 of the Invasion of Ukraine: USA stated there is “No Need to declare Russia a Terrorist State”
- » Series of Knife Attacks in three Brussels Neighborhoods: Two People have Died
- » Bulgarian SPG-9 Warriors mounted on Buggies chase Russian Tanks through the Mud in Ukraine
- » Musk: Apple has 'threatened to withhold' Twitter
- » Breaching EU Sanctions will soon be a 'Eurocrime'