PM Borisov Calls for Immediately Closing EU's External Borders
Bulgarian Prime Minister called on Friday for an immediate closure of the external borders of the EU in view of the ongoing migrant crisis.
Borisov said this during a joint briefing with his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban who arrived on a visit to Bulgaria on Thursday evening.
The Bulgarian prime minister noted that European leaders have failed to reach consensus on this issue at several meetings of the European Council.
He expressed hope that at the forthcoming meetings of the European Council the European leaders will be fairer towards the migrants.
In his words, Europe could no longer sustain the refugee influx.
According to him, the return of migrants once they have reached western Europe was even more inhumane than halting them at the external borders.
Borisov was convinced that if earlier calls for closing the external borders had been heard half a year ago, there would have been need for fewer migrants to be returned.
He was firm that the stance of the EU should take into account the common European solidarity as no single state should be left on its own to deal with all the refugees.
During the press conference, Orban called on the EU to admit the success of Bulgaria in dealing with the refugee crisis and to offer the country membership to the Schengen Area.
- » Mariya Gabriel Nominated to be European Commissioner For Innovation and Youth
- » Maria Gabriel Opens the Fourth Edition of the Digital Life and Design Conference in Brussels
- » The Distribution of the Resources in the European Commission Will be Announced Today
- » European Commissioner Vytenis Andriukaitis Arrives in Bulgaria
- » Exhibition of Tarnovo Constitution to be Presented in European Parliament
- » The EU Intends to Intensify its Dialogue with the Western Balkan Countries