PM Borisov Calls for Immediately Closing EU's External Borders
Bulgarian Prime Minister called on Friday for an immediate closure of the external borders of the EU in view of the ongoing migrant crisis.
Borisov said this during a joint briefing with his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban who arrived on a visit to Bulgaria on Thursday evening.
The Bulgarian prime minister noted that European leaders have failed to reach consensus on this issue at several meetings of the European Council.
He expressed hope that at the forthcoming meetings of the European Council the European leaders will be fairer towards the migrants.
In his words, Europe could no longer sustain the refugee influx.
According to him, the return of migrants once they have reached western Europe was even more inhumane than halting them at the external borders.
Borisov was convinced that if earlier calls for closing the external borders had been heard half a year ago, there would have been need for fewer migrants to be returned.
He was firm that the stance of the EU should take into account the common European solidarity as no single state should be left on its own to deal with all the refugees.
During the press conference, Orban called on the EU to admit the success of Bulgaria in dealing with the refugee crisis and to offer the country membership to the Schengen Area.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » European Commission: EUR 9.218 Billions Grants for Bulgaria, Italy and Spain on Top of the Table
- » Doubts Remain over Readiness of Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania for Schengen
- » EC: Bulgaria is the Only Country that Meets the Criterion for the EU Budget Deficit
- » Bulgaria Marks Europe Day
- » The Juncker Plan Will Provide Financial Assistance of BGN 10 million For 320 Micro-Enterprises in Bulgaria
- » EP Supports Accession Talks with Albania and Northern Macedonia