Macedonia 'Closes Border with Greece to Migrants'
Greece says Macedonia is no longer allowing migrants to enter the country on their way to Central and Western Europe, ABC news reports.
Skopje officials did not immediately comment, but Athens maintains the border has effectively been sealed off to migrants for several days.
Macedonia announced in November it would only let in people seeking asylum from countries where conflict is raging, such as Syria, Iraq, and Afghanistan. The step was announced as a result of similar decisions from Serbia, Croatia, and Slovenia.
Last week, some EU member states' governments suggested the EU should ask Bulgaria and Macedonia, Greece's northern neighbors, for more cooperation if Athens fails to provide the border controls needed to curb the flow of migrants into Europe.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Croatia's Population has Shrunk by nearly 400,000 in the last 10 years
- » North Macedonia has Released Vlado Buckovski as Chief Negotiator with Bulgaria
- » SDSM Leader: North Macedonia and Albania have done Everything, Now it's the EU's Turn
- » New Government in North Macedonia
- » Period of Validity of Certificates in Greece will be Reduced if there is no Booster Dose
- » The US has imposed Sanctions on Dodik and his TV station