IOM: Sea Arrivals of Migrants in Italy, Greece Surge about 10 Times Y/Y in January
Nearly 37,000 migrants and refugees have arrived in Italy and Greece by sea in the first 21 days of 2016 - about 10 times 2015’s total on this date, the International Organsiation for Migration has said.
“For Greece and the Western Balkans, the increase is well over 20 times 2015’s total on this date,” the IOM has said on its website.
IOM has also reported that with 113 deaths of migrants and refugees in the Mediterranean already registered in the first 21 days of January this the deadliest January on record. There were 12 migrant deaths recorded in January 2014 and 82 in January 2015, according to IOM statistics.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » More than 3,500 Police Officers will provide Security in Athens during Pope Francis' Visit
- » Transgender and Tribal Women among the Recipients of India’s Top Civilian Awards
- » EU May Impose New Sanctions on Belarus as early as Monday
- » Poland Increases Security on Border with Belarus after Threat of Migrants Increases
- » Russia: For Third Day in a Row, More than 40,000 New Infections with COVID-19
- » Up to Three Years in Prison for a Fake COVID Certificate in Ukraine