The Revenant Leads 2016 Oscars Nominations
The nominations for the 88th Academy Awards were announced on Thursday morning at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills.
The Revenant led the nominations, including best picture, with a total of 12. The strong showing for “The Revenant,” including a best actor nod for Leonardo DiCaprio, follows its win at the Golden Globes. The film, about a 19th-century frontiersman, sets director Alejandro Inarritu for a possible second win for best picture in as many years following the award granted to his film “Birdman” last year.
George Miller’s “Mad Max: Fury Road” followed with 10 nominations, including best picture. Ridley Scott’s sci-fi epic “The Martian” was third with seven nominations, including best picture.
Five other films were also nominated for best picture: Tom McCarthy’s investigative journalistic procedural “Spotlight,” Steven Spielberg’s Cold War thriller “Bridge of Spies,” Adam McKay’s Michael Lewis adaptation “The Big Short,” the mother-son captive drama “Room” and the ’50s Irish immigrant tale “Brooklyn.”
The nominees for best actor are DiCaprio (“The Revenant”), Matt Damon (“The Martian”), Michael Fassbender (“Steve Jobs”), Bryan Cranston (“Trumbo”) and Eddie Redmayne (“The Danish Girl”).
The nominees for best actress are Cate Blanchett (“Carol”), Brie Larson (“Room”), Saoirse Ronan (“Brooklyn”), Jennifer Lawrence (“Joy”) and Charlotte Rampling (“45 Years”).
The Academy Awards ceremony will take place at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood on February 28.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Trump Bans Tik Tok App, Stocking Tension with Beijing
- » Bulgarian Company is the Owner of the Ship That Carried the Ammonium Nitrate Responsble for the Explosion in Beirut
- » France: 16 Coronavirus High-Risk Countries with a Compulsary Testing on Arrival
- » Donald Trump Suggests Delay to 2020 US Election, Republicans: You Can't Delay It
- » Britain Tightens Measures Against COVID-19
- » European Commission Signs Contract with Gilead to Secure EU Access to Remdesivir