Lionel Messi Wins Record Fifth Ballon d'Or
Argentinian football star and player of Barcelona Lionel Messi was awarded his fifth Ballon d'Or at a ceremony held at the Kongresshaus in Zurich on Monday.
Messi was nominated for the 2015 edition of the award along with fellow Barcelona teammate Brazilian Neymar and Portuguese Cristiano Ronaldo, who plays for Barcelona's eternal rival Real Madrid.
Messi won the award given to the best player in the world in four consecutive years between 2009 and 2012, while in the next two editions he finished second behind winner Ronaldo.
The Argentinian forward demonstrated excellent performance last season, helping Barcelona to win impressive five titles - the UEFA Champions League, La Liga, Copa del Rey, the UEFA Super Cup and the FIFA Club World Cup.
A total of 165 national team coaches, 162 national team captains and 171 media representatives cast their vote for the Ballon d'Or award.
Messi garnered 41.33 % of all votes, Ronaldo remained second with 27.76 % of the votes, while Ronaldo received 7.86%.
Head coach of Barcelona Luis Enrique was selected as the best coach in men's football.
US midfielder Carli Lloyd received the award for the best female player, while the head coach of the US national team Jill Ellis was selected as the best coach in women's football.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » France Is Tightening Measures Against COVID-19, Devided Into Zones
- » Ekathimerini: Lockdown ‘Strongest Weapon’ Against Virus Surge in Athens
- » Bulgarians Can Now Travel to Italy Without Restrictions
- » Finland Opens Its Borders, 14-Day Quarantine for Bulgarians
- » Nepal: Record 2020 COVID-19 Cases in the Day After Lockdown was Lifted
- » Yoshihide Suga Elected as Japan Prime Minister