Bulgaria Govt Shuts Down Svilengrad Customs Office Unit
The Bulgarian cabinet on Wednesday approved a decision to close down the Customs Agency unit of Svilengrad, days after tens of customs officers were detained on suspicions of corruption.
In a press statement, the government says the move is aimed at "preventing corruption practices and improving work by optimizing human, financial and material resources".
An "Information Security Unit" will also be set up to exert control over the way security requirements are applied with regard to the information systems of the customs administration.
It will be in charge of "risk management in the administration in compliance with the network and information security goals".
Structural changes to the Customs Agency will be carried out with no changes to the number of staff.
Municipal councilors at Svilengrad on Tuesday voiced their dissent with the decision, calling into question the efficiency of such measures in the fight against corruption.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Kiril Petkov on his Citizenship: I Do Not Feel Any Guilt
- » General Mutafchiiski with Special Award from Jewish Community in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Road Constuctors Mount yet Another Protest
- » Bulgaria: Prices Will Rise More Steeply than Expected - Finance Ministry
- » Three Foreigners Arrested in Bulgaria for Trading Info from Arsenal military plant
- » Caretaker Government Required State-owned Companies to Pay Dividend