MPs Approve Ekaterina Zaharieva as Bulgaria's New Justice Minister
The Bulgarian parliament approved on Friday the nomination of Ekaterina Zaharieva as the country's new justice minister.
A total of 126 MPs voted in favour of Zaharieva's nomination, 66 lawmakers were against, while 17 abstained, BGNES news agency informs.
The nominee was approved despite the splits within the coalition government, which have occurred after the resignation of Zaharieva's predecessor Hristo Ivanov last week.
Ivanov resigned due to the failure of parliament to approve all the amendments to the constitution concerning the reform of the judiciary, which had been proposed by him.
In particular, he was discontent with MPs revising the distribution of quotas within the Supreme Judicial Council (VSS), which had been suggested by him.
In solidarity with Ivanov, one of the parties constituting the junior coalition partner withdrew its support for the government and declared itself as an opposition party.
Prime Minister Boyko Borisov presented the nomination of Zaharieva to the Council of Ministers on Wednesday and the nominee herself held talks with the parties supporting the ruling coalition on Thursday.
Zaharieva has twice served as Deputy Prime Minister and Regional Minister in the caretaker governments of Prime Ministers Marin Raykov (2013) and Georgi Bliznashki (2014).
She also served as Deputy Regional Minister in the first Borisov cabinet, which ruled between 2009 and 2013.
Between 2012 and 2013, Zaharieva was the Chief Secretary to President Rosen Plevneliev and since 2013 she has served as the Chief of the President's Cabinet.
During the debate on her appointment, she vowed to continue the reforms of the judiciary and pledged to stay away from any backroom deals.
- » Bulgaria is Failing to Attract Funding for Science
- » The Bulgarian Ministry of Interior Reports a Drop in Casualties of Car Crashes
- » Expenses of the Bulgarian Family are Growing Faster than Income
- » Bulgarian PM Borisov Inspected Construction of Section of Hemus Motorway
- » Construction on the Expansion of the Southern Arc of the Ring Road in Sofia can Start at end of 2019.
- » City Scooters like in Vienna will be soon Roaming the Streets of Sofia