Riot Erupts in Dutch Town over Plan to Build Asylum Centre
Dutch police had to fire warning shots to disperse protesters opposing plans to build a centre for asylum seekers in the town of Geldermalsen on Wednesday night, the BBC reported.
Demonstrators threw fireworks and bottles at police in protest at the plan of municipal authorities to accommodate 1,500 asylum seekers in the town of 27,000 located 72 km from The Hague
According to local media reports, more than 2,000 people had taken part in the protest, which made local councilors to abandon their meeting convened to discuss the plan to build housing for migrants, SkyNews said.
The migration crisis in Europe is expected to dominate a meeting of EU leaders in Brussels on Thursday.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Belarus Bans Orwell's 1984
- » Germany’s Chancellor Rejects Ukraine's Swift Entry into the EU - Deems it Unfair to the Balkans
- » Bush: The Invasion of Iraq was Brutal...I meant of Ukraine (VIDEO)
- » Day 85 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Kyiv Extends Martial Law and Mobilization by 90 Days, US Warned Moscow, Russia used Laser Weapons
- » UN: Mass World Hunger Awaits Us
- » European Commission Proposed an Armaments Plan to Ensure the Security of the EU