Bulgarian Customs Prevent Smuggling of Ancient Coins, Artifacts into England
Bulgarian customs authorities have prevented the smuggling of thousands of ancient coins and archaeological artifacts from Bulgaria into England, the National Customs Agency in Sofia said on Monday.
Figurines made from metal and clay, coins and fragments of agricultural tools were discovered stashed in cardboard boxes inside a minibus registered in Silistra, in northeastern Bulgaria, the customs agency said in a news release.
When customs officers in Ruse, on the border with Romania, started an inspection of the minibus, the driver told them that the outbound vehicle carried the luggage of the passengers plus four unaccompanied cardboard boxes which an unknown sender had asked him to deliver to a recipient in London, according to the customs agency.
Some of the items carried labels with description in Bulgarian language and price tags in British pounds.
Prosecuting authorities in Ruse have opened a criminal investigation.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Development: More Arrested for Illegal Import of Waste from Italy
- » AP: More Than 360 kg of Cocaine were Found in an Apartment in Sofia
- » Say My Name: People Outraged over the Death of George Floyd - Unarmed Black Man Killed by Police
- » Plovdiv: A 16 Year Old Boy Was Kidnapped. The Kidnappers Were Found
- » A Turkish Citizen Tried to Smuggle 2460 Tablets Viagra Through Bulgaria
- » Police Chase in Druzhba District - 4 Men Detained