Bulgaria's PM Warns of Early Elections if Coalition Splits
Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov has made clear he cannot rule out a scenario of general elections held with the presidential vote next year.
Borisov has told Darik Radio that his center-right GERB party, which is the senior partner in the country's minority government, could resort to the option if its allies from right-wing Reformist Bloc (RB) "shake stability and pull out of the government".
In his words, a new vote as early as this winter would be "madness", and GERB would therefore govern together with its other coalition partners, waiting for the next year, if such a scenario unfolds.
Bulgaria has held early elections two times since Borisov's first government resigned in February 2013.
Latest suggestions that the country might be sliding toward a new vote come as tensions are growing between GERB and one of the parties in the RB after the resignation of Hristo Ivanov, the former Justice Minister.
Ivanov resigned over Parliament's decision to approve an amended version of his judicial reform earlier this week, warning of excessive influence of the chief prosecutor (whose powers the reform could potentially curb) over GERB's decisionmaking process.
But Borisov on Saturday said he has not been informed of tensions with the RB.
He added his real hope stemmed from the Democrats for Strong Bulgaria (DSB)'s decision not to "kill stability and push the country toward chaos" at their Saturday assembly.
DSB, the RB party whose leader publicly declared himself an opposition to Borisov after the resignation, is having a congress on Saturday to adopt a joint position on the developments. It hinted it might withdraw Health Minister Petar Moskov, but is yet to decide.
- » Bulgaria is Failing to Attract Funding for Science
- » The Bulgarian Ministry of Interior Reports a Drop in Casualties of Car Crashes
- » Expenses of the Bulgarian Family are Growing Faster than Income
- » Bulgarian PM Borisov Inspected Construction of Section of Hemus Motorway
- » Construction on the Expansion of the Southern Arc of the Ring Road in Sofia can Start at end of 2019.
- » City Scooters like in Vienna will be soon Roaming the Streets of Sofia