Bulgaria among Countries Most Affected by Extreme Weather Events in 2014
Three Southeastearn European states are among the six countries in the world most affected by extreme weather events last year, according to environmental group Germanwatch's Global Climate Risk Index (CRI).
The index [PDF] analyses the impacts of extreme weather events both in terms of fatalities and of losses incurred by the economy.
Bulgaria ranked sixth, after Serbia, Afghanistan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, the Philippines, and Pakistan.
Out of these, it was the fourth in terms of "absolute losses" in USD M, estimated at USD 2.383 B, and the third in "losses per unit GDP%" (after Bosnia and Serbia).
In August, the northwestern village of Mizia was hit by floods which left most of the village under water for days.
Between 1995 and 2014, more than 525 000 people died worldwide and losses of more than USD 2.97 trillion (in PPP) were incurred as a direct result of over 15 000 extreme weather events," the report also reads.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny and Hot on the First Day of Autumn
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Morning Fog and Afternoon Rain Today
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny with Rain only in the Mountains
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Chilly in the Morning, Warmer in the Afternoon
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Sunny and Warm this Week
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Sunny in the Morning, in the Afternoon - some Rainfall