Construction of Sofia Metro's Third Line to Begin in Spring
Sofia Mayor Yordanka Fandakova has announced that work on the third subway line of Bulgaria's capital is to start in the spring of 2016.
In an interview with the Bulgarian National Television, she has warned this will cause traffic disruptions across the capital, with locations of new metro stations (or connections to existing lines) set on a number of venues in downtown Sofia.
Plans for the third line, from the Zaimov park to the Krasno selo neighborhood, include new stations or connections by the park itself, next to Sofia University (a connection to Line 1), the National Palace of Culture, (where passengers will be able to switch to Line 2), Pencho Slaveykov Blvd (a prime location from which a number of hospitals are easy to reach), Bulgaria Blvd (a major thoroughfare connecting the center with the Ring Road's southwestern section) and Krasno Selo itself.
An extension will follow connecting Sofia neighborhoods located futher northeast of the Zaimov park with remote southwestern areas such as Ovcha Kupel.
- » Man Dies of Legionnaires' Disease after Bulgarian Holiday
- » British Tourist Nearly Dies after ‘Severing Artery’ Plummeting Down ‘Extreme’ Water Slide in Bulgaria
- » Flock of Pink Flamingos Settled in Lake Atanasovsko near Bulgaria’s Burgas
- » New Outbreak of African Swine Fever in Velingrad Municipality
- » For the most Part Wildfires in Bulgaria are Caused by Human Activity
- » Second Outbreak of African Swine Fever in Alabak State Forest Enterprise