Bulgaria Court to Decide on Arrest of Polish Man over Plane Bomb 'Joke'
The district court of Burgas is to decide whether to leave in custody a Polish citizen who falsely alerted the crew of an Egypt-bound plane of a bomb installed in the aircraft and prompted an emergency landing.
On Thursday the 67-year-old Polish citizen caused a plane operated by Smart Planet Airlines, flying en route to Hurghada, to land at the Sarafovo airport of the Southeastern Bulgarian city. He latter admitted to having "joked".
Bulgarian officials suggest he might be facing up to 15 years of imprisonment for breaching national security, under Bulgarian law.
Thursday's development also comes days after Russian authorities announced the Kogalymavia airplane that crashed in the Sinai peninsula en route to Sharm El Sheikh (also in Egypt), killing all 224 on board, had been downed by a homemade bomb.
- » Billion Dollar Business: Illegal Puppies Trade from Eastern Europe
- » € 2 Million Worth of Valuables Were Stolen from the Vaux-le-Vicomte Chateau in France
- » Ivan Geshev: We Busted An Arms and Drug Trafficking Group from Bulgaria to the UK
- » British Man Charged with Child Sex Abuse in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Special Prosecutor's Office: Charges Brought Against 4 People for Organ Trafficking
- » Seven People Killed in Terrorist Attack in Turkey