Former German Chancellor Helmut Schmidt Dies at 96
Former German Chancellor Helmut Schmidt passed away at the age of 96 in his home city of Hamburg on Tuesday.
Schmidt served as Chancellor of West Germany between 1974 and 1982.
Before that he had held several ministerial positions, having successively served as Defence Minister, Economy and Finance Minister in the government of his predecessor Willy Brandt.
He has often been identified as one of the most popular German politicians after the end of the Second World War.
Schmidt is credited with helping to consolidate the postwar economic boom of Germany.
He remained a staunch Social Democrat until the end of his days.
Schmidt was an active diplomat, who sought European cooperation and international economic coordination and was one of the architects of the European Monetary System.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » EP President David Sassoli has Passed Away
- » Actor Bob Saget was found Dead in a hotel room
- » Gunther from "Friends" has Passed Away
- » Bulgarian Economist Vladimir Karolev has Passed Away
- » In Memorim: Greet Singer of the Mystry of the Bulgaian Voices Choir Passed away at 80
- » Three days of Mourning in Greece in Memory of Composer Mikis Theodorakis