Border Police Halts 13 Groups of Migrants Trying to Cross into Bulgaria
Bulgarian border police authorities said on Wednesday they had prevented a total of 13 groups of migrants from entering Bulgaria in 24 hours.
Two of the groups had tried to cross into the country from Greece, near the Novo Selo border crossing point in Southeastern Bulgaria.
Among the 256 people who sought to enter, some were hidden in cargo vehicles. In two such developments, drivers were arrested after migrants with no documents were found in their respective cargo compartments.
This comes amid increased migratory pressure at Bulgaria's border with Turkey and, more recently, Greece.
Last week a migrant died in an incident involving border police officers, some 30 km into Bulgarian territory.
- » BBC Investigation: Bulgarian Runs a Network for Fighting and Trading Dogs
- » More than 10 People were Detained in Operation by of GDBOP and National Security in Blagoevgrad
- » Masked and Armed Man Robbed a Bank Branch in Sofia
- » Bulgarian Authorities Shut Down 15 Websites Selling Fake Goods
- » Arrested Head of Work Capability Assessment Commission Remains in Custody
- » Third Skripal Suspect Linked to Poisoning in Bulgaria in 2015