MEP Ska Keller: Bulgaria Has Important Role in EU's Plans on Refugees
Being an external border of the EU, Bulgaria has an important role in the plans of the Union on addressing the refugee crisis.
This was stated by Member of the European Parliament and Vice-President of the Group of the Greens/European Free Alliance, Ska Keller, in Plovdiv on Sunday, private bTV station informs.
Keller called on the Bulgarian government to be more open towards accepting refugees and to make efforts towards convincing Bulgarians that as citizens of the EU, they have to help the refugees.
In her words, although four member states of the EU have refused to implement the decision on the quotas, it had been taken by majority and therefore refugees should be accepted.
She criticised the Russian intervention in Syria as not being beneficial as it resulted in more people fleeing the country.
According to her, Russia claimed that its airstrikes targeted Islamic State (IS), but in practice Moscow bombed areas where IS is not present.
Keller noted that the refugee crisis provides an opportunity for the EU to once again reaffirm its founding principles – rule of law, human rights and solidarity.
- » European Commission Supports Reforms in Bulgaria
- » Banking Union: Why Baulk at Bulgaria?
- » As of Today Third Country Nationals with a Ban to Enter Schengen Area will be Blocked from Entering Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria Consents to UPC’s Provisional Application Phase
- » Eurostat: Most Bulgarians Drive Second-hand Cars
- » Bulgaria Stops Access to People with a Ban to Enter Schengen from 1 August