US Ready to Work with Russia, Iran on Syria, Obama Tells UN
The United States is ready to cooperate with any country, including Russia and Iran, to find a solution to the Syrian conflict, US President Barack Obama said on Monday.
"The United States is prepared to work with any nation, including Russia or Iran to resolve the conflict," Obama said addressing the UN General Assembly. "But we must recognize there cannot be after so much bloodshed, so much carnage, a return to the pre-war status quo."
Obama described as ‘tyrant’ the Syrian President Bashar al-Assad who is backed by Russia, and urged the international community to work together to defeat the Islamic State group.
“There is no room for accommodating an apocalyptic cult” like Islamic State, Obama said. He also focused on the need for a political transition in Syria, stressing that Assad must relinquish power.
Obama’s call for a "managed transition” to replace Bashar al-Assad clashed with the view expressed by Russian President Vladimir Putin. Addressing the UN General Assemby on Monday, Putin said that it would be a mistake to abandon the current government in Damascus.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The European Commission will return the Monitoring of the Rule of Law in Bulgaria
- » Lavrov: Moldova could be the next Ukraine
- » Day 344 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Von der Leyen visits Kyiv, Russian Officer witnessed Brutal Torture of Ukrainians (UPDATED)
- » Poland: Distrust of Germany is Growing because of its Policy towards Ukraine
- » Netanyahu again Pushed Aside Negotiations with the Palestinians, Israel launched New Strikes in Gaza
- » Von der Leyen: Managing the Bulgarian-Turkish Border is the Most Urgent Task for Strengthening EU's Land Borders