EU’s Hahn Praises Serbia’s Efforts to Tackle Refugee Crisis
No country can be left to solve the refugee problem alone, EU Commissioner Johannes Hahn said during a visit to Serbia on Friday.
This problem can only be solved if we all work together in the spirit of solidarity and sharing the burden, said Hahn, who is in charge of EU's neighborhood policy and enlargement negotiations.
The European Union would certainly provide the necessary financial and political support to Serbia, he said, referring to the decision of this week’s informal EU summit to extend an additional funding of EUR 17 M to Serbia and its southern neighbour Macedonia to support their efforts to cope with the influx of migrants transiting their territories en route to western Europe.
Hahn and Serbian Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic visited a refugee reception center in the town of Sid, in nortwestern Serbia at the border with Croatia.
"You are not alone, you are Europeans and we should work together. We should not be raising new borders," Hahn said, according to Tanjug news agency.
In a statement released prior to his visit to Serbia Hahn praised Belgrade for its “competent and resilient management of the refugee crisis.”
“Serbia is ensuring decent living conditions for refugees, in line with international standards,” he said.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » North Macedonia's Foreign Minister: We must make the Changes in our Constitution
- » Montenegro 2023: Deciding between the Past and the Future
- » The Мinimum Wage in Greece becomes 780 Еuros
- » Borrell: North Macedonia made a Commitment to Include in its Constitution Citizens of other Nationalities such as Bulgarians
- » Greece is Blocked by a Massive General Strike
- » The Croatian Government will Introduce a Fixed Price for Basic Food Products