Germany’s REWE Pulls out PENNY Discounter from Bulgaria
Germany’s supermarket group REWE said on Wednesday it will withdraw completely from discount business in Bulgaria with all PENNY stores ceasing to operate by the end of next month.
REWE Group will focus on full-range store business with PENNY’s sister company BILLA Bulgaria taking over the logistics centre in Stolnik near Sofia and - where possible - some of the current 49 PENNY outlets in the country, REWE said in a statement.
“Where possible, PENNY employees will be offered a continued employment at BILLA Bulgaria,” the statement read. “The employees who cannot be offered employment opportunities will receive severance pay in excess of that required by law.”
Currently, REWE operates 92 BILLA supermarkets in Bulgaria.
In the future, the REWE Group will focus its international discount activities with PENNY on business in the other five countries where it currently operates: Austria, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Italy and Romania.
PENNY opened its first discount store in Bulgaria in 2009.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Inflation Is Something Normal in Times of Economic Recovery
- » SANS and Interior Ministry Inspect Energy Watchdog
- » BNB Set to Restrict Mortgage Loans
- » Why Energy Prices Got out of Hand and Will it Get Even Worse?
- » Ministers and Businesses Gave Themselves 10 Days to Look for Solutions for the "Tourism" Sector
- » Heating Bills can Jump in Cost by a Double-Digit Percentage