'World Coalition' Is Needed to Fight Islamic State - UN Envoy
Europe should distinguish between people fleeing war and economic migrants Nickolay Mladenov, the United Nations' special envoy to the Middle East, has said.
Effort should be taken to make sure refugees are concentrated as near as possible to their country of origin so that they are able to return later, Mladenov, also a former Bulgarian Foreign Minister, told public broadcaster BNT on Wednesday.
There should be "clear rules" as to how economic migrants will be treated, he opined as Europe is facing its biggest migrant influx in decades.
In his words, quotas which are now under discussion among European leader, could only be a "temporary solution".
Mladenov, who has since his first UN appointment (to Iraq) has been dealing with the aftermath of Islamic State (IS) activities, warned that there is no possibility to defeat IS without military intervention and called for a "world coalition" to be set up.
"I could go into detail about what I have seen from IS in Iraq and to appeal there is no other solution than a military one."
"Political decisions, however, have to be taken with regard to Syria as well, so that the population can feel more as part of this government."
Mladenov did not elaborate.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria in Crisis: How World’s Saddest Place Became Deadliest
- » Boyko Takov: How to Survive in Time of Pandemic, Useful Tips for Bulgarian companies from BSMEPA
- » IME: Bulgarian Government Chose the Easiest Way for Budget Relaxation
- » IFIMES: Bulgarian ‘Certification’ of Identity of Macedonians and Macedonian Language?
- » COVID-19: New Theory Suggests That Wearing a Mask Builds Immunity
- » Boyko Takov, BSMEPA: 90% of Companies in Bulgaria Are Micro, However Generating a Little Over 1/3 of Revenues in the Sector