Bulgaria Backs Mandatory Refugee Quotas – Interior Minister
Bulgaria unconditionally supports the proposal for mandatory refugee quotas, according to Interior Minister Rumyana Bachvarova.
Speaking Monday ahead of a meeting of EU interior ministers, Bachvarova said that Bulgaria would back such a proposal.
“We believe that it is fair and, what is more, that the suggested approach also includes an opportunity for any other country to take advantage of this right, should it end up in a more difficult situation,” she stated, as cited by the Bulgarian National Radio.
Bachvarova made clear that the Bulgarian government opposed the proposal that the redistribution model turn into a permanently acting mechanism applicable to the future admission of new people.
Monday's meeting in Brussels revolves around the European Commission's plan to distribute 160 000 refugees around the continent.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » OLAF: Romania Ranks First in Fraud Cases with EU Funds, Bulgaria is Fifth
- » Council of Europe: Bulgarian Authorities to Punish Journalists' Attackers
- » European Parliament Will Discuss the Situation in Bulgaria
- » EC Approves €4.4 Million Bulgarian Support Measure to Burgas and Varna Airports
- » Bulgaria Versus EU: Decent Economy but Poor Quality of Life
- » EC Approves the Bulgarian Scheme in Support of Tour Operators