Germany Reintroducing Border Controls over Migrant Influx
Germany has decided to reintroduce border controls along its border with Austria, authorities say.
The measure comes less than a day after the city of Munich, which has given shelter to thousands of migrants from the Middle East, said it could not cope with the flow of asylum seekers who entered the country in a matter of hours.
Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung reports some 13 000 people made it to the southen city of Munich on Friday alone.
Though Germany has generally been welcoming to migrans flocking from the Middle East and North Africa via Southeast Europe, on Sunday it said its south was unable to cope with the influx.
Earlier this summer, Interior Minister Thomas de Maizi?re said Berlin expected some 800 000 migrants to arrive in 2015.
FAZ quoted him on Sunday as saying that the idea was to "limit" the influx, though he did not elaborate.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The EC is holding Talks with Bulgaria due to Fears that there may be Exports from "Lukoil"
- » Bulgaria: Increase in the Price of Gas by nearly 19% for December due to Expensive Gas stored in Chiren
- » For the first time since January: Brent Crude Oil fell below $82 per Barrel
- » Bulgarian Minister: It makes no sense to Close our Coal Plants right now
- » Standard & Poor's confirmed Bulgaria's credit rating
- » Three New Direct Flights from Bulgaria to the Seychelles will be Launched in 2023