Germany Reintroducing Border Controls over Migrant Influx
Germany has decided to reintroduce border controls along its border with Austria, authorities say.
The measure comes less than a day after the city of Munich, which has given shelter to thousands of migrants from the Middle East, said it could not cope with the flow of asylum seekers who entered the country in a matter of hours.
Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung reports some 13 000 people made it to the southen city of Munich on Friday alone.
Though Germany has generally been welcoming to migrans flocking from the Middle East and North Africa via Southeast Europe, on Sunday it said its south was unable to cope with the influx.
Earlier this summer, Interior Minister Thomas de Maizi?re said Berlin expected some 800 000 migrants to arrive in 2015.
FAZ quoted him on Sunday as saying that the idea was to "limit" the influx, though he did not elaborate.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » How Bulgarian Tourism Survives in Time of Pandemic?
- » Greek Land Borders Remain Closed Till 14 December
- » A Tour of Sofia by Travel Diary - Greek traveling TV show
- » Maradona’s Death to Be Investigated!
- » Commission for Consumer Protection: Let's Not Go Hysterical over Black Friday Sales
- » European Commission Nods to EUR 511 Million for Support of Bulgarian Economy