Thousands Migrants Start Walking Toward Vienna from Hungarian Border
Thousands of asylum-seekers broke through police lines at Austria's main border crossing with Hungary and set off on foot for Vienna on Friday, newswires reported.
Austria has sharply reduced train traffic from the border crossing at Nickelsforf due to overcrowding and called buses and taxis to take migrants to Vienna, from where they want to proceed further west to Germany and the Nordic countries. In Munich, the first arrival point in Germany for most of those travelling on from Austria, authorities announced that more than 40,000 people have arrived over the past six days.
The vehicles apparently were not enough to compensate for the suspension of the special train shuttles between Nickelsdorf and Vienna that had been operating over the past days, which made more and more migrants to beging walking toward Vienna situated some 60 km. to the west. Austrian authorities had to close to traffic the main A4 motorway leading from Nickelsdorf to Vienna late on Thursday to prevent potential road accidents.
- » Zoran Zaev: Northern Macedonia Has no Alternative but EU Membership
- » Soon Every Third Germany Resident Will Be a Foreigner
- » EC: London Must Name its EU Commissioner
- » Austria Banned Smoking in Restaurants
- » Johnson: There Will Be no Brexit without a Deal
- » The Minimum Wage in Croatia to Become EUR 435