Bucharest Mayor Arrested on Bribery Suspicions
Sorin Oprescu, Mayor of Bucharest, has been detained by anti-corruption authorities, media outlets report.
Oprescu is suspected of having taken bribes to the tune of EUR 25 000 from companies that worked for the city hall.
The mayor has been in custody since Saturday evening. DNA prosecutors demand that the court approve a 30-day arrest warrant, alleging that between 2013 and 2015 he was part of an organized group that required of companies to pay bribes to secure public contracts, according to Romania Insider.
The mayor kept some 10% of the profit from the scheme for himself, whereas much (60%) of the revenues generated by the firms involved went to the pockets of other members of his circle. The group he was supposedly part of would use its influence on different institutions to help the respective companies win tenders.
Oprescu has been Mayor of Bucharest since 2008. He is yet to comment on the developments.
He has now topped the a list of politicians detained by the anti-corruption body while in office.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Vucic: Serbia does not Support any EU Declaration of Sanctions against Russia
- » Bomb Threats in 134 Schools in Serbia
- » Croatia will Adopt the Euro on 1 January 2023
- » Kosovo applies for Membership in Council of Europe, Serbia convenes Security Council
- » Serbia on the Transit Gas: Bulgarian Problems are not our Problems
- » Ukraine expects Transnistria to Enter the War