Former Centerra Gold CEO Homeniuk Set for Extradition Hearing in Bulgaria
Len Homeniuk, a former CEO of Toronto-based Centerra Gold mining company, is facing an extradition hearing in Bulgaria on Thursday, the Globe and Mail has reported.
If Bulgarian authorities grant the extradition request, Homeniuk, who holds a dual Canadian-US citizenship, could be transferred to Kazakhstan, the Canadian newspaper wrote, citing Bulgarian consular officials in Ottawa and Centerra officials.
Bulgaria and Kazakhstan currently have no extradition agreement.
Centerra Gold said earlier this month it had been made aware that Homeniuk has been detained by the Bulgarian authorities, “apparently at the request of Kyrgyz Republic authorities”.
“Centerra has repeatedly publicly stated that it is not aware of any valid basis for these allegations, which it believes to be entirely unfounded,” the gold mining company said in a statement.
Homeniuk was detained by Bulgarian authorities in Sofia on 27 July on an international arrest warrant issued in September 2014 by Kyrgyzstan’s prosecution authorities, Kyrgyz radio station Azattyk reported back then, citing an announcement of Kyrgyzstan’s Interior Ministry.
Kyrgyzstan is seeking Homeniuk’s extradition on charges of corruption linked to contracts for the development of Kumtor gold mine, according to rus.azattyk.org.
Homeniuk had been living under house arrest after his initial detainment, according to Kamen Dikov, Consul at the Bulgarian Embassy in Ottawa, The Globe and Mail said.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » A Man Opened Fire and Held Hostages in a Bulgarian Village - Later Surrendered to the Police
- » 81 Illegal Migrants were Detained in Bulgaria in One Day
- » Bulgaria: Mass Poisoning of Dogs and Cats in a Plovdiv village
- » Three People have been Detained in Bulgaria for Illegal Funding from the EU
- » Bulgaria: 12 Migrants crammed into a Car were Detained in the Harmanlii village of Bulgarin
- » Bulgaria: A Man Killed his Wife and Daughter, then took His Own Life