Bulgarian Grandmaster Veselin Topalov Defeats Reigning World Chess Champion
The Bulgarian chess grandmaster Veselin Topalov defeated the reigning world champion Magnus Carlsen from Norway at the Sinquefield Cup, which is taking place in St. Louis.
In a match from the opening round of the tournament, Topalov defeated Carlsen, who retired at the 40th move.
The Bulgarian, who played with the black pieces, took an advantage from a mistake of his opponent in the 17th move.
This is his second victory over the world champion in the space of two months after he defeated him at the Norway Chess Supertournament, which the Bulgarian won in June.
In the second round, Topalov is to face Hikaru Nakamura from the US, the Bulgarian starting with the white pieces.
- » Marcelinho, Is №1 Football Player in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Volleyball Nationals had Perfect Start at the Nations League Games in Varna
- » Why Bulgaria Could Appeal to Gambling Titans
- » Sofia Fit Fest 2019 Will Be Twice as Big as the Previous Year
- » The Bulgarian National Football Team Will Play Against Kosovo
- » Grigor Dimitrov Will Face Stan Wawrinka In the Third Round of the French Open