UNHCR Worried about Migrants’ Plight at Greece-Macedonia Border
The United Nations refugee agency expressed concern on Friday over the increasingly precarious situation at the border between Greece and Macedonia, where Macedonian police used force earlier to prevent migrants trying to cross.
"UNHCR is particularly worried about the thousands of vulnerable refugees and migrants, especially women and children, now massed on the Greek side of the border amid deteriorating conditions," UNHCR said on its website.
UN High Commissioner for Refugees Antonio Guterres spoke with Macedonia’s Foreign Minister Nikola Poposki about the situation and was assured that the border will not be closed in the future.
The UN refugee agency also appealed to the Greek authorities to enhance registration and reception arrangements for migrants stranded on the Greek side of the border and help them move towards reception centres away from the border.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Clashes between police and Serbs in Northern Kosovo
- » The Situation in Northern Kosovo is Calm - Vucic no longer Leader of his Party
- » Vucic raised the Combat Readiness of the Army and ordered the Serbs to March towards Kosovo
- » Vucic: More than 37,000 Illegal Weapons were handed over to Authorities in Serbia
- » Greece is going to Early Elections at the End of June
- » Vucic announced that he will Step Down as the Leader of the ruling Serbian Progressive Party