Reuters: Bulgaria Growing Anxious as Flow of Migrants Keeps Rising
More and more migrants keep arriving in Bulgaria despite a host of measures the country has taken to stem the influx, Reuters reported on Wednesday.
The agency cites official data according to which 25 000 people have applied for refugee status over the past two years, or as many as in the previous two decades combined.
Bulgaria is not on the frontline of the migrant crisis like Greece or Hungary, but "is growing anxious as the flow of arrivals keeps rising", with many in the country fearing Sofia will be unable to cope with more arrivals.
Some 80% of the EUR 4.2 M the country has received to provide shelter, medical care and food for migrants housed in camps have already been spent.
You can read the full article here.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » 'Bulgaria Phone Scammers Rob, Blackmail Elderly'
- » NY Times: Bulgaria Grows Uneasy as Trump Complicates Ties to Russia
- » NY Times: As Support for EU Flags Elsewhere, Bulgaria Sees Its Benefits
- » DW: German Businesses Prefer Trade with Bulgaria over Investment
- » The Economist: Bulgaria, Moldova Presidents 'Less Pro-Russian Than Advertised'
- » AFP: Bulgaria's Radev 'Struck a Chord by Attacking the Status Quo'