Bulgaria's Tsvetana Pironkova Loses to Serena Williams in Cincinnati
Bulgaria's top ranking female tennis player Tsvetana Pironkova was ousted from the Western & Southern Open, which is taking place in Cincinnati.
In a match from the second round, which was played on Wednesday, Pironkova was defeated by the world No. 1 Serena Williams from the USA with 5:7, 3:6.
The Bulgarian offered a staunch resistance to Williams in the opening set and managed to keep the score equal until 5:5.
However Pironkova conceded a break in the decisive twelfth game and the American claimed the first set with 7:5.
Williams kept the initiative in the second set, came in the lead with 4:3 and after recording a break in the eighth game, she managed to claim the final victory.
Thus, the American remains undefeated by Pironkova, having won all four encounters with the Bulgarian.
The only Bulgarian representative left in the tournament is Grigor Dimitrov, who will face the British Andy Murray in the third round.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » How New Technologies Help Sport Fans Around the World
- » Bulgaria: Stadiums Open to the Public in Compliance with Strict Measures
- » Police Officers Took Grigor Dimitrov's Driver License in Monaco
- » Sport Events in Bulgaria Without Audience Until August 31
- » Alexandar Georgiev to Be Only Bulgarian-Born Player in Revised NHL Playoffs
- » Online Casinos: Top Reasons Why Casinos Are The Best In The UK