Bulgaria Ex Intelligence Chief Handed 10-Year Sentence
A Bulgarian court has sentenced former intelligence head Gen Kircho Kirov to ten years of imprisonment after finding him guilty of embezzlement, the Bulgarian News Agency (BTA) reported.
Half of Gen Kirov's assets will be confiscated, the Military Disctrict Court has also ruled.
Gen Kirov was accused a few years ago of misappropriating public funds worth nearly BGN 5 M over a period of five years, between 2007 and 2011.
He headed the National Intelligence Service (NIS) from 2002 to 2012.
Friday's sentence is the minimum that the Criminal Code of Bulgaria envisages for the offense (the maximum being 20 years).
The former intelligence head was indicted in 2013.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » 47 Arrests in Varna Today
- » Three Police Officers of Bulgarian Origin Were Injured in the US Riots
- » In Varna Student Who Killed his Father Was Found Guilty
- » Development: More Arrested for Illegal Import of Waste from Italy
- » AP: More Than 360 kg of Cocaine were Found in an Apartment in Sofia
- » Say My Name: People Outraged over the Death of George Floyd - Unarmed Black Man Killed by Police