Bulgaria Ex Intelligence Chief Handed 10-Year Sentence
A Bulgarian court has sentenced former intelligence head Gen Kircho Kirov to ten years of imprisonment after finding him guilty of embezzlement, the Bulgarian News Agency (BTA) reported.
Half of Gen Kirov's assets will be confiscated, the Military Disctrict Court has also ruled.
Gen Kirov was accused a few years ago of misappropriating public funds worth nearly BGN 5 M over a period of five years, between 2007 and 2011.
He headed the National Intelligence Service (NIS) from 2002 to 2012.
Friday's sentence is the minimum that the Criminal Code of Bulgaria envisages for the offense (the maximum being 20 years).
The former intelligence head was indicted in 2013.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: A Driver was Detained after a Spectacular Chase with the Police in Sofia
- » Murder in Sofia: A Man Died from Multiple Stab Wounds, his Son was Detained
- » Bulgaria: Authorities Detained a Police Officer while On Duty with more than 1.6 Promille of Alcohol
- » Specialized Police Operation in the Bulgarian Village of Sindel after the Rape of a 73-year-old Woman
- » A 73-year-old Woman was Raped in a Bulgarian Village
- » 30 Days in Detention for the Attacker of Bulgarian Hristiyan Pendikov in North Macedonia