Anti-Terrorism Operation Underway in Macedonia, 9 Arrested
Macedonia’s Interior Ministry has launched a special operation to arrest alleged Islamic State (IS) members.
The authorities seek to arrest people suspected of participating in paramilitary formations in Syria and other regions plagued by armed conflicts, as well as people recruiting Macedonian nationals to take part in the war in Syria, according to Ivo Kotevski, Spokesperson for the Interior Ministry, as cited by news portal independent.mk.
Police are conducting searches at sites in Skopje, Struga, Kumanovo, Tetovo, and Gostivar.
Macedonian authorities, as cited by Bulgarian news agency BGNES, informed Thursday noon that nine people, alleged members of the IS, had been arrested so far and they were looking for another 27 militants, 20 of them believed to be currently involved in fighting in Syria.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Anti-Corruption Commission with Claims for BGN 140 Million Against Minyu and Stayko Staykovi
- » Bulgaria: Former Ministers Simeon Dyankov, Traicho Traikov and Businessman Prokopiev Acquitted in EVN Case
- » Bulgarian Chief Prosecutor Geshev: Senior Officials Have Been Arrested in Anti-Drug Operations
- » Unregulated Contacts of President Radev’s Secretary with Businessman Plamen Bobokov
- » PM Boyko Borisov, Vladislav Goranov and Menda Stoyanova Are Questioned in the Investigation Against Mogul Bozhkov
- » Commission for Combating Corruption Checks Bulgarian Education Minister Valchev for Conflict of Interest