Close to 2.5 Million Bulgarians Live Below Poverty Line - Study
More than 2 460 000 Bulgarians or 34 % of the country's population live below the poverty line of BGN 295 per month.
This is revealed by the latest figures of the Confederation of Independent Trade Unions in Bulgaria (KNSB).
At the end of June, the cost of living for a four-member household (two adults and two children) in Bulgaria amounted to around BGN 2248 per month.
Thus, the cost of living for a member of a household stood at BGN 561.90 per month, which are needed to cover expenses on food, dwelling, healthcare, education and holiday.
The trend for the decrease of the cost of living was sustained in the second quarter of the year, the drop being 0.2 % compared to the previous quarter.
According to KNSB chairman Plamen Dimitrov, the number of people employed at the minimum wage increased by 2.4 % compared to the same period in 2014.
KNSB insists for the gradual increase of the minimum wage each year, reaching a level of 50-55 % of the average remuneration.
KNSB notes that the decrease of the cost of living in the second quarter is expected as there is a seasonal drop in the prices of foods and especially fresh vegetables as well as prices of heating, which decreased by 6.2 %.
- » BNR: Bulgaria to Submit the Mobility Package to EU Court
- » The Air in Sofia - Dangerous for your Health?
- » 9 Events that Happened on Friday the 13th in which there is Nothing Fatal
- » Russian Sailors Discovered Four Hitherto Unknown Islands in the Red Sea
- » An Explosion in an Apartment Building Injured 25 Germans
- » YouTube Has Introduced Stricter Rules for Video Content