Wildfire in Bulgaria's Rila Mountain Contained
A wildfire in the Rila Mountain in Southwestern Bulgaria has now been fully contained, the local firefighters' service says.
Only smaller sections of the blaze are yet to be extinguished, but the danger of spreading has been eliminated, Nasko Vasev, who heads the Interior Ministry's local fire fighting unit in the town of Kyustendil (the nearest town to the affected area), has told Focus News Agency.
In his words, the fire has been halted from all four sides.
The forest fire broke out on Thursday evening in an area just a kilometer from the landmark Rila Monastery, and local authorities had feared that the building might be affected.
By Sunday, however, it had been contained from three sides, continuing only on the northwestern slopes.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: 6 Injured 2 in Critical Condition after a Mass Brawl with Axes and Hoes in Kazanlak
- » Bulgaria: A Car with Illegal Migrants Crashed and One Person has Died
- » Bulgaria: The Body of a 31-Year-Old Man was found under a Bridge in Gabrovo
- » Bulgaria: A Boy Died and Four others were Injured in an Accident on the Ruse - Veliko Tarnovo Road
- » Bulgaria: A 2-Year-Old Boy Fell into a Two-Meter Manhole
- » Bulgaria: A Man Died after his Truck fell off a Bridge in the Kotlen Pass