Wildfire Raging Above Bulgaria's Rila Monastery Spreads Further
The wildfire raging above the Rila Monastery in southwestern Bulgaria, has spread further overnight.
Nearly 250 people, including firefighters, military personnel with two helicopters and volunteers, are trying to extinguish the fire.
According to the latest information, the fire has mainly engulfed grass, bushes and some dry woods.
The efforts are concentrated on preventing the flames from engulfing the forest, Darik radio informs.
The main problem is the difficult accessibility of the site, which is only a kilometer away from the monastery, but due to the steep incline, it takes two hours to reach it.
Due to the impossibility of the specialised equipment to reach the area, most of the extinguishing is done manually.
There is no danger for the monastery and the inhabitants of the surrounding settlements.
The most likely cause of the fire is human negligence.
By noon on Saturday, the fire has been partially localised and there are hopes of gaining full control over it by the end of the day.
Another major wildfire, which had been raging for three days near the town of Harmanli, was extinguished.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: 6 Injured 2 in Critical Condition after a Mass Brawl with Axes and Hoes in Kazanlak
- » Bulgaria: A Car with Illegal Migrants Crashed and One Person has Died
- » Bulgaria: The Body of a 31-Year-Old Man was found under a Bridge in Gabrovo
- » Bulgaria: A Boy Died and Four others were Injured in an Accident on the Ruse - Veliko Tarnovo Road
- » Bulgaria: A 2-Year-Old Boy Fell into a Two-Meter Manhole
- » Bulgaria: A Man Died after his Truck fell off a Bridge in the Kotlen Pass