Wildfire Raging Above Bulgaria's Rila Monastery Spreads Further
The wildfire raging above the Rila Monastery in southwestern Bulgaria, has spread further overnight.
Nearly 250 people, including firefighters, military personnel with two helicopters and volunteers, are trying to extinguish the fire.
According to the latest information, the fire has mainly engulfed grass, bushes and some dry woods.
The efforts are concentrated on preventing the flames from engulfing the forest, Darik radio informs.
The main problem is the difficult accessibility of the site, which is only a kilometer away from the monastery, but due to the steep incline, it takes two hours to reach it.
Due to the impossibility of the specialised equipment to reach the area, most of the extinguishing is done manually.
There is no danger for the monastery and the inhabitants of the surrounding settlements.
The most likely cause of the fire is human negligence.
By noon on Saturday, the fire has been partially localised and there are hopes of gaining full control over it by the end of the day.
Another major wildfire, which had been raging for three days near the town of Harmanli, was extinguished.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Police Chase and Car Crash Closed Temporarily Trakya Motorway
- » Bulgaria: Unmarked Police Car Hit Child on Crosswalk,Who Later Died in Hospital
- » Floods in Germany: Over 90 People Killed, 618 Injured in Ahrweiler District
- » Report Released on Most Likely Version for MiG-29 Crash in June
- » Turkey Bus Accident Kills 12, Injures 26
- » Dozens of Cars with Flat Tires in Sofia