Turkish Fighter Jets Carry Out Airstrikes on IS Targets in Syria
The Office of the Turkish Prime Minister announced that three F-16 fighter jets carried out airstrikes on Islamic State (IS) targets in Syria on Friday.
The jets took off from the 8th Main Jet Base in the southeastern province of Diyarbakir and dropped four guided bombs on two IS headquarters and an assembly point in Syria.
The airstrikes, which had a duration of thirteen minutes, were carried out without violating Syrian airspace as the missiles were launched from Turkey.
The airstrikes come a day after a gunfight with IS militants across the border in Syria left one Turkish soldier dead and two other injured.
Hours before the border skirmish, Turkey had agreed to open its Incirlik Air Base to aircraft from the international coalition against IS.
The IS targets were located near the Syrian village of Havar, which lies across the border from Kilis in Turkey, Hurriyet Daily reports.
The decision was taken at a special security meeting in Ankara on Thursday, hours after the clash on the border.
The operation was named after Yalcin Nane, the non-commissioned military officer, who was killed in the fight against IS.
Turkey believes that the IS was responsible for the suicide attack in the southeastern town of Suruc on Monday, which claimed the lives of at least 32 people and left hundreds injured.
Since then the tensions have heightened as the Kurdish-dominated southeast blamed Turkish authorities of collaborating with IS, while Ankara dismissed the accusations.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » A Romanian Court has placed Andrew Tate under House Arrest
- » For the First Time a Country in Europe Banned ChatGPT
- » EU Prosecutor's Office is conducting Searches in Sofia as part of an Investigation into Corruption and Misuse of Funds
- » Lukashenko: A Third World War with Nuclear Fire is on the Horizon
- » The Jihadists detained in Belgium, including a Bulgarian, were Preparing the Murder of the Mayor of Antwerp
- » Day 401 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Blinken urged the Americans to leave Russia immediately