Bulgaria's Tsvetana Pironkova Proceeds to Quarterfinals of Istanbul Cup
Bulgaria's top female tennis player Tsvetana Pironkova proceeded to the quarterfinals of the TEB BNP Paribas Istanbul Cup.
Pironkova defeated the Japanese Kurumi Nara with 6:3, 1:6, 6:1 in a match from the second round of the tournament, which was played on Thursday.
The two opponents exchanged a total of eight breaks in the first set, with the Bulgarian managing to establish a 4:2 lead, which proved decisive for claiming the opening set.
Pironkova established a 1:0 lead in the second set, but then conceded seven games in a row, allowing the Japanese to equalise the score.
After coming 0:1 behind in the third set, the Bulgarian recovered, recorded six consecutive games and claimed the final victory.
In the quarterfinal, Pironkova will face for the first time in her career Urszula Radwanska from Poland, sportal.bg informs.
The Bulgarian will attempt to reach the semifinals of the Istanbul Cup for the third time after she had previously done so in 2005 and 2008.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Yasen Petrov is the New Manager of the Bulgarian National Football Team
- » European Taekwondo Championship 2021 to Be Held in Sofia
- » Cristiano Ronaldo Beats Pele in All-Time Scoring Record
- » Bulgaria: Tsvetana Pironkova is Athlete of 2020
- » Cristiano Ronaldo Wins Player of the Century at Globe Soccer Gala
- » Cristiano Ronaldo and Lewandowski Will Speak at Dubai International Sports Conference