SYRIZA MP, Greek Alternate FM Resigns After Bailout Agreement
Greek MP from the main ruling party SYRIZA and alternate foreign minister for European affairs Nikos Hountis announced his resignation on Monday.
He is the first leftist MP to resign since Greece reached an agreement with eurozone leaders on a third bailout on Monday.
Hountis is expected to replace fellow SYRIZA member Manolis Glezos, who resigned from his position as MEP last month, daily Kathimerini informs.
Hountis was the candidate, who came second to Glezos in the 2014 elections for European Parliament.
The journalist Giorgos Kyritsis will take the place of Hountis in parliament, so the presence of SYRIZA will remain unaffected.
This is the second minister to resign the government of Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras after Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis stepped down after the July 5 referendum.
Rumours emerged that Energy Minister Panagiotis Lafazanis, who heads the left wing of SYRIZA, can also resign as Tsipras bowed to the demands of the creditors to carry out deeper reforms in exchange for a new bailout.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Stoltenberg: We Look Forward to Northern Macedonia Joining NATO
- » The Early Elections in Northern Macedonia Will Be on April 12th
- » Erdogan Threatens EU to Open Borders to Refugees
- » Northern Macedonia is Expected to Receive the Green Light to Begin EU Accession Talks
- » Turkey Sells Two of Its Islands
- » Athens Blamed Ankara For the Migrant Crisis